Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Horror Host In Comics, Part 1


Over the next few months, I will be examining the history and role of the horror host in comics. We must begin with the Big 3, the ghoulunatics, The Crypt-Keeper, The Old Witch, and The Vault-Keeper. The first popular iteration of the horror host in comics, these three had simple roles:

1. They branded the title. The Crypt-Keeper opened 'Tales From The Crypt', The Vault-Keeper had the lead in 'The Vault of Horror' and The Old Witch served first course in 'The Haunt of Fear'. A 10-year old could easily identify an EC Horror comic simply by the host (if not the artist).

2. They opened the story with the title, usually flavoring the plot with alliteration.

3. They closed the story with groan-inducing puns.

It's interesting that all three are quite similar in appearance (old with robes) but distinct as well. Almost as if they were part of a ghoulish family of story-tellers. Let's open our examination of the horror host with a little ditty called...

1 comment:

  1. Hey man, I really love this blog. It's been an incredible resource for me since I began working on my own horror webcomic, crithit.org/spooky

    I'm glad there are still some people out there as in love with these classics as I am.

    ReplyDelete